THIS THREAD CONTAINS SPOILERS! Read at your own risk.
Please DO NOT quote this post! It has been typed in a bigger font so you know I'm serious!
Welcome to the What We Know So Far... Thread!
Brought to you by "Red Robin Incorporated" (NOT the restaurant )
Visit the > Queries thread < and post your questions regarding Arkham City! Courtesy of RedRobin.
21/9/11 - The PC version has been delayed until November.
23/9/11 - Batman: Arkham City goes GOLD!
13/10/11 - There won't be a demo for Batman: Arkham City.
Click > HERE < for more information.
21/5/12 - The Game of the Year Edition has been revealed and the final DLC titled 'Harley Quinn's Revenge' will be released on May 29th (PSN) and May 30th (XBL)
For more information on the GOTY edition as well as HQR click > HERE <
For the technical FAQ click > HERE <
This thread has compiled everything we know about Arkham City. All information has been double, triple checked but if you find anything strange feel free to leave a comment!
- Release Dates and Censorship
- Standard, Limited and Collector's Edition
- The Story of Arkham City
- Characters and Voice Cast
- Locations and Landmarks
- Arkham City - Environment and Gameplay
- Game Difficulties
- FreeFlow Combat
- Challenges - FreeFlow and Invisible Predator
- Riddler Challenges
- Other Unlockables
- Achievements and Trophies
- DLC Achievements and Trophies
Release Dates and Censorship
- NA - Oct 18 2011
- AUS - Oct 19 2011
- EU - Oct 21 2011
- JPN - Nov 23 2011
- The game will be avaliable on PC, PS3, Xbox 360 and the WiiU.
- The PC version will use Games For Windows LIVE.
- The WiiU version will be released sometime in 2012.
- ESRB has rated the game Teen for Alcohol Reference, Blood, Mild Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Tobacco and Violence.
- BBFC has rated the game 15+ for strong violence.
- The PC version has been delayed until November.
Standard, Limited and Collector's Editions
- Standard Edition- PC/PS3/360 - Available worldwide
- Steelbook Edition - PC/PS3/360 - Available from certain retailers worldwide
To see what's in the EB Games Steelbook Edition, click > HERE <
- For the definitive list of Steelbook avaliable around the world, click > HERE < Courtesy of Gemini-Phoenix.
- Collector's Edition - PS3/360 - Available worldwide
For info on the Collector's Edition, click > HERE <
- The Japanese Collector's Edition will also include: a fully painted Batman statue, postcards, a booklet and unspecified DLC.
- The Japanese CE will only be avaliable on the PS3.
- ALL movies bundled with the PS3 versions of the game will be Blu-Ray, Xbox 360 versions will contain standard DVD versions.
- There are five known Steelbook Edition variants: Joker, Penguin, Two-Face and two Catwoman variants. All the Steelbooks will have Batman on the front and the villain variant on the back.
- GAME and Game Station are offering a Robin edition of the game. The Robin edition is similar to the standard edition but features an alternate cover art and the Robin pre-order bonus. Click > HERE < for more info.
Click > HERE < for the list of confirmed pre-order bonuses and where to get them.
For more info on Skins, click > HERE < Courtesy of NerdyJordy.
For the dates and prices of the DLC click > HERE < Courtesy of LemonLoafer.
- All pre-order bonuses will be avaliable for download after the release of the game.
- Joker's Carnival and the Iceberg Lounge haven't been confirmed to be released at a later date.
- Skins are playable in the main story (after completion) and in the Challenges
- To change skin simply select continue (either Story or NG+) and choose which skin you would like to use. NOTE: You must have a skin installed to select this.
- Known DLC (ex Skins):
- Catwoman DLC (with brand new copies of the game)
- Iceberg Lounge
- Joker's Funhouse
- Nightwing Bundle Pack (Nightwing, Wayne Manor map, Main Hall map)
- Robin Bundle Pack (Robin, Black Mask Hideout map, Freight Train Escape map)
- Batman: 1970's
- Batman: Beyond
- Batman: Earth One
- Batman: Sinestro Corps (PS3 Exclusive)
- Batman: The Animated Series
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
- Batman: Year One
- Catwoman: The Animated Series
- Catwoman: The Long Halloween
- Nightwing: The Animated Series
- Robin: Red Robin
- Robin: The Animated Series (Dick Grayson's Robin costume)
The Story of Arkham City
No escape from Arkham City, the sprawling super-prison.
The heart of Gotham City, home to its most violent thugs and infamous super-villains.
With the lives of innocent civilians at stake, only one man can save them and bring justice to the streets of Gotham City, the Batman.
Everything at stake. Everyone at risk. No escape.
- The Batman: Arkham City comics are a prequel to the actual game.
- The Batman: Arkham City comics, including the digital chapters, will be collected into one hardcover book and released on October 12th 2011.
- Click > HERE < for more info on the Batman: Arkham City comic book.
Characters and Voice Cast
Blank spaces are characters that may spoil the game, highlight at your own risk!
- Batman/Bruce Wayne (Kevin Conroy)
- Catwoman (Grey DeLisle) - Selina Kyle will have unique gadgets and moves. Catwoman is playable for 10% of the story.
- Nightwing - Dick Grayson will have unique gadgets and moves. Nightwing is restricted to Challenge mode.
- Robin - Tim Drake will have unique gadgets and moves. Robin is restricted to Challenge mode.
- Alfred Pennyworth
- Abramovici Twins - The Joker and Penguin both have special one-armed thugs, they were separated at birth.
- Black Mask
- Calender Man
- Jack Ryder
- Jim Gordon
- Joker (Mark Hamill)
- Harley Quinn (Tara Strong)
- Hugo Strange (Corey Burton)
- Killer Croc
- Mad Hatter
- Mayor Quincy Sharp
- Mister Freeze (Maurice LaMarche)
- Nora Fries
- Penguin (Nolan North)
- Poison Ivy
- Ra's al Ghul
- Solomon Grundy
- Talia al Ghul (Stana Katic)
- The Riddler (Wally Wingert)
- Two-Face (Troy Baker)
- Vicki Vale
Areas and Landmarks
- Ace Chemicals Plants
- Amusement Mile
- Church/Medical Center
- Confiscated Goods Vault
- Crime Alley
- GCPD Building
- Gotham City Olympus
- Iceberg Lounge
- Industrial District
- Monarch Theater
- Steel Mill (Joker's Funhouse)
- Solomon Wayne Courthouse
- Park Row
- Wonder City
- Wonder Tower
- Arkham Island - The island will be visible but you will not be able to go back.
- The Batcave will not appear in Arkham City.
Arkham City - Environment and Gameplay
- Batman: Arkham City will not have any form of Multiplayer. Rocksteady is focusing on delivering a great single-player experience.
- Although not directly related to gameplay, Arkham City will support anaglyphic and stereoscopic 3D. To use the 3D gamers will need either a 3DTV or an HDTV and a pair of compatible glasses.
- The main story will take 25+ hours to complete.
- Side missions and Collectables will add 15+ hours to the main story.
- The HUD (heads-up display) has been improved, including a fade out Gadgets selection menu and a new Combos meter.
- Players will be able to set the Batsignal as a waypoint.
- Arkham City will be five times the size of Arkham Asylum.
- Arkham City will be explorable right from the beginning.
- Arkham City will be divided into several territories, each owned by a gang, that are individualized based on the gang in charge.
- Arkham City's story will approximately take place 80% outdoors and 20% indoors.
- Batman's gliding has been improved, it is his main form of transport in the game.
- Catwoman utilizes her whip to travel around Arkham City.
- Batman will have a new move called the “Grapple Boost” where he fires his grappling gun at an environmental object, grapples to the target then hurls himself off.
- Batman can perch on more objects such as wires, billboards and gargoyles.
- It has been said that players will be able to travel from one side of the city to the other without touching the ground.
- Catwoman is playable, her story is only 10% of the game.
- One of Batman's new moves is the Dive Bomb. In the air, he'll be able to target an NPC and 'dive' at them.
- Gang territories will change in both appearance and size as the game progresses.
- There are many side missions in Arkham City. One of which involves Mr Zsasz and payphones, another in which Batman and Bane team up to track down contraband shipping.
- Arkham City is full of little easter eggs. For example, when entering Crime Alley, a button prompt allows Batman to pay respects to his parents.
- There will not be any drivable vehicles in Arkham City.
- One of Catwoman's first side-missions will involve tracking down prisoners' belongings in Arkham City.
- Arkham Island is visible in Arkham City but the player will not be able to go back.
- The gliding controls can be inverted in the game.
- Sewers may be entered. Simply head to a sewer grate and Press either RT + A or R2 + X to enter the sewers.
Click > HERE < for more information on New Game Plus. Courtesy of SarahMay.
- Known difficulties are: Normal, Hard and New Game +.
- Arkham City will feature a New Game + mode. Players will be able to play with all the gadgets and upgrades they have unlocked from the beginning.
- NG+ will be the only difficulty without the blue attack indicators. Hard will have indicators, unlike Arkham Asylum.
- New Game + unlocks after completing the game on Normal or Hard, the tutorials however will still be present.
- NG+ will not have modifiers unlike Campaign Challenges.
- To balance NG+, enemies will be upgraded.
- Advancing in the NG+ also shares progress with the original save (e.g. if you pick up a Riddler trophy that you didn't have in the original save).
- NG+ is also going to be one single difficulty level, regardless of whether you unlock it by completing the story on Normal or Hard.
- Gadgets (ex. Grapnel Gun):
- Batman: Batclaw
- Batman: Batarangs
- Batman: Cryptographic Sequencer v2
- Batman: Explosive Gel
- Batman: Freeze Pellets/Cluster
- Batman: Grapnel Gun
- Batman: Remote Batarangs
- Batman: Remote Electrical Charge (REC)
- Batman: Smoke Pellets
- Batman: Sonic Batarangs
- Catwoman: Bolas
- Catwoman: Caltrops
- Catwoman: Whip
- Nightwing: Batclaw
- Nightwing: Darts
- Nightwing: Disruptor
- Nightwing: Escrima Sticks
- Nightwing: Line Launcher
- Nightwing: Wing Dings
- Robin: Bo Staff
- Robin: Flash Snap
- Robin: Remote Shuriken
- Robin: Shield
- Robin: Smoke Bombs
- Robin: Shurikens
- Robin: Zip Kick (Kind of like the Line Launcher and the Grapnel Gun combined)
- Catwoman will have her own gadgets such as Bolas which will be upgradable.
- Robin's known gadgets include a bo staff which can deploy a shield.
- New gadgets include Smoke Pellets, Broadcast Analyzer and the Remote Electrical Charge.
- Smoke Pellets are thrown to create a distraction, useful when under enemy fire.
- The REC (or Remote Electrical Charge) acts like a taser shotgun.
- Players will start the game with the main gadgets (except Multiple Batarangs and Sonic Batarang) from Arkham Asylum.
- The gadgets returning from Arkham Asylum have been improved (e.g. Remote Control Batarang now has a boost function).
- Gadgets returning include: Batarangs, Batclaw, Cryptographic Sequencer, Explosive Gel and the Line Launcher.
- The Cryptographic Sequencer now has the ability to hack into enemy radio frequencies and listen to Riddler's broadcast.
- The Remote Controlled Batarang has a few upgrades including a Boost function, brake and 180 degree turn.
- The Line Launcher has been heavily upgraded since the last time we saw it, Batman is still able to use it to quickly get from one place to another. Arkham City's environment opens up a whole new range of movement and strategic possibilities. The Line Launcher also has a slow-motion function which allows you to change the direction of the Line Launcher and fire again in the new direction.
- The Batclaw has been shown to be usable while balancing on tight ropes.
- Gadgets can be used to interact with the environment. E.g. the R.E.C can power up an elevator.
- Batman will have a new gadget known as Freeze Blast. This gadget can immobilize enemies for a short amount of time and can create small platforms on water.
- Another new gadgets is the Disruptor, which can disrupt guns and mines.
- Multiple Batarangs and the Ultra Batclaw will not return.
- Detective vision will return and has been vastly improved.
- Weapons held by enemies will be highlighted, this includes knives, guns and shields.
- Light sources are highlighted, suggesting they are intractable in some way.
- Detective Vision will highlight enemies and interactive objects in more detail and at greater range than before, though the environment will be very hard to distinguish.
- Detective mode features a surveillance system that allows Batman to eavesdrop on enemies.
- Arkham City will feature a compass system at the top of the screen that directs players where to go, when Detective Mode is activated, this compass will disappear, combined with the limited ability to view the environment, this makes navigating the City in Detective Mode difficult.
- Being attacked whilst in Detective Mode will cause it short out and Batman's vision will return to normal.
- Catwoman's Thief Vision, her version of Detective Vision, highlights the City in an orange hue, and enemies become white.
- Catwoman's Thief Vision will identify items that can be stolen.
- Robin will have "Explosive Vision" which identifies the best ways to avoid or use explosives and how that can be used as an advantage to him or identifying how enemies use them against him.
- The FreeFlow combat system returns from Arkham Asylum.
- FreeFlow in Arkham City has been improved.
- Players can now perform double and triple takedowns.
- Batman can counter enemies with the environment.
- New move named the “Beatdown” which is a rapid combination of punches and kicks performed by rapidly tapping the attack button on a stunned enemy.
- Objects thrown by enemies can be caught and thrown back.
- Batman will be able to counter multiple enemies at once.
- Batman can now perform double silent takedowns.
- If a thug is near a thin wall, Batman will be able to smash through it with his hands and knockout the thug.
- Batman will be able to perform a knockout smash during a silent takedown. The move knocks out the enemy instantly but alerts nearby enemies.
- There will be a Predator-based battle with Mr. Freeze. Running up to him and attempting to strike him will not end well for you!
- There are many more takedowns in Arkham City such as Reverse Ledge Takedowns and Double Ledge Takedowns.
Click > HERE < for the Challenge Map Q & A thread. Courtesy of SarahMay
- Challenge maps, for each one (excluding DLC) there is an Extreme variant:
- Blind Justice - Combat
- Survival of the Fittest - Combat
- Rooftop Rumble - Combat
- Hell's Gate - Combat
- Funhouse Brawl - Combat
- Prison Riot - Combat
- Meltdown Mayhem - Predator
- Police Brutality - Predator
- Natural Selection - Predator
- End of the Line - Predator
- Lost City - Predator
- Top of the World - Predator
- Joker's Carnival - Combat
- Iceberg Lounge - Combat
- Black Mask Hideout - Predator
- Freight Train Escape - Combat -This map is similar to classic side scroller beat 'em ups.
- Batman, Catwoman and Robin are the playable characters, they are not restricted to certain maps.
- Challenge Mode is now known as Riddler's Revenge.
- There are 3 types of Challenges: FreeFlow which is combat based, Invisible Predator which focuses on stealth and speed and there will also be custom maps.
- The Joker’s Carnival is avaliable as a pre-order bonus from GameStop and avaliable with the Steelbook Edition.
- The two Challenge maps bundled with the Robin pre-order bonus are 'Black Mask Hideout' and 'Freight Train Escape'.
- The Iceberg Lounge Challenge map is avaliable with the Collector's Edition. There are infinite enemies in this map.
- There will be custom maps which players can customize with options such as disabling gadgets, reduced health etc.
- The FreeFlow Challenge maps are only 4 rounds with a limited number of enemies, but each round will be of increasing difficulty.
- Challenge Mode will feature ranked maps similar to Arkham Asylum.
- There will be a Campaign Mode, featuring three maps that can be played in one sitting.
- Extreme Challenge maps will return.
- You do not need to be online to play the Challenges but you will need to be online to have your score recorded on the Leaderboards.
- Each major villain will have their own gang with their own special appearances that reflect their allegiance.
- Enemy AI has been improved and are more alert and responsive.
- Enemies will attack the player simultaneously.
- Thugs will use a massive variety of weapons such as baseball bats, broken bottles, explosives and makeshift riot shields.
- There will be far more enemies to fight than there were in Arkham Asylum, although some may flee the scene when Batman arrives.
- Enemies will still respawn even after the completion of the game.
- Gang members aren't restricted to their territories.
- Thugs who are not in gangs wander the streets.
- Titan thugs will return.
- Arkham City will feature Elite enemies such as Tyger Guards. They will carry jammers that disable Batman's Detective Mode.
- There will be OVER 400 Riddler Trophies to collect!
- After completing all of the Riddler Challenges, Batman and the Riddler will have a face to face confrontation.
- Batman can interrogate Riddler informants for the locations of Riddler trophies.
- Riddler Challenges will return, they will be more complex and will involve the use of gadgets.
- Character Bios will make a return with a brand new look including renders of characters.
- Bios are now filed under 'Batcomputer Data'.
- There will be 32 Bios split into an 8x4 grid with three tabs for each character. Some will also have special tapes.
- All characters mentioned in the Characters + Voice Cast section are likely to have their own bios.
Achievements and Trophies
Achievements list found by Ibrun7288.
- Platinum (PS3 only, Platinum) - Congratulations!
- I'm Batman (10G/Bronze) - Become the Bat
- Acid Bath (10G/Bronze) - Save the damsel, but is she in distress?
- Savior (10G/Bronze) - Save the medical volunteers
- Chimney Sweep (10G/Bronze) - There is only one way in
- One Armed Bandit (10G/Bronze) - Hammer the point home
- Communication Breakdown (10G/Bronze) - Clear the airwaves
- Gladiator (10G/Bronze) - Last man standing
- Wrecking Ball (25G/Silver) - Stop the unstoppable
- Lost And Found (10G/Bronze) - Uncover the secret of Arkham City
- Sand Storm (25G/Silver) - We are legion
- Hide and Seek (25G/Silver) - A deadly game of hide and seek
- Ghost Train (25G/Silver)- Fight for survival
- Freefall (25G/Bronze) - Don't look down
- Exit Stage Right (50G/Silver) - All the world is a stage
- Forensic Expert (10G/Bronze) - Collect enough evidence to locate the gun for hire
- Contract Terminated (25G/Silver) - Stop the contract operative
- Serial Killer (25G/Silver) - Track down the serial killer
- Mystery Stalker (15G/Bronze) - Reveal the mystery watcher
- Distress Flare (5G/Bronze) - Answer the call for help
- Broken Toys (25G/Silver) - Destroy it all
- Ring Ring (5G/Bronze) - Answer a ringing phone
- Dial Z For Murder (25G/Silver) - Stop the phone booth killer
- Stop the Clock (15G/Bronze) - Time is running out
- Bargaining Chip (15G/Bronze) - Reunite the separated couple
- AR Knight (25G/Silver) - Complete all augmented reality training exercises
- Fully Loaded (10G/Bronze) - Collect all of Batman's gadgets and upgrades
- Aggravated Assault (10G/Bronze) - Stop all assaults in Arkham City
- IQ Test (10G/Bronze) - Solve the first riddle
- Conundrum (20G/Bronze) - Rescue the first hostage from Riddler
- Mastermind (20G/Bronze) - Rescue the second hostage from Riddler
- Puzzler (30G/Bronze) - Rescue the third hostage from Riddler
- Intellectual (30G/Bronze) - Rescue the fourth hostage from Riddler
- Brain Teaser (40G/Silver) - Rescue the fifth hostage from Riddler (40G)
- Genius (50G/Bronze) - Rescue all hostages from Riddler (50G)
- Bronze Revenge (10G/Bronze) - Obtain 24 medals in the original Arkham City ranked maps (as Batman)
- Silver Revenge (20G/Bronze) - Obtain 48 medals in the original Arkham City ranked maps (as Batman)
- Gold Revenge (40G/Silver) - Obtain all 72 medals in the original Arkham City ranked maps (as Batman)
- Campaign Bronze (10G/Bronze) - Obtain 24 medals in the original Arkham City ranked maps (as Batman)
- Campaign Silver (20G/Bronze) - Obtain 72 medals in the original Arkham City ranked maps (as Batman)
- Campaign Gold (40G/Silver)- Obtain all 108 medals in the original Arkham City ranked maps (as Batman)
- Flawless Freeflow Fighter 2.0 (5G/Bronze) - Complete one combat challenge without taking damage
- Twice Nightly (75G/Silver) - Complete New Game Plus
- Gotham Base Jumper (5G/Bronze) - Jump off the tallest building in Arkham City and glide for 1 minute without touching the ground
- Pay Your Respects (5G/Bronze) - A moment of remembrance
- Story Teller (10G/Bronze) - Have12 murderous dates with Calender Man
- Catch (5G/Bronze) - Find someone to play remote Batarang catch with
- 50x Combo (5G/Bronze) - Complete a combo of 50 moves (any play mode, any character)
- Perfect Freeflow 2.0 (5G/Bronze) - Perform a combo including all of Batman's combat moves (any play mode)
- Gadget Attack (5G/Bronze) - Use 5 different Quickfire gadgets in one fight (any play mode)
- Perfect Knight - Day 2 (75G/Gold) - Main Story, Side Missions, Upgrades, Collectables, New Game Plus and Riddlers Revenge (as Batman)
DLC Achievements and Trophies
- Sphinx' Riddler (10G/Bronze) - Complete all 40 of the Catwoman Riddler grid items.
- Arkham City Sirens (25G/Silver) - Drop in on an old friend.
- Pick Pocket (25G/Silver) - Steal the score of a lifetime.
- Family Jewels (40G/Silver) - Retrieve your stolen goods.
- Feline Revenge (25G/Bronze) - Obtain all 72 medals on the original Arkham City ranked maps (as Catwoman)
- Campaign Kitty (25G/Bronze) Obtain all 108 medals on the original Arkham City campaigns (as Catwoman)
- Robin Revenge (25G/Bronze) - Obtain 78 medals on the original Arkham City and Robin Bundle Pack ranked maps (as Robin)
- Campaign Wonder (25G/Bronze) - Obtain 114 medals on the original Arkham City and Robin Bundle Pack ranked maps (as Robin)
- Nightwing Revenge (25GBronze) - Obtain 78 medals on the original Arkham City and Nightwing Bundle Pack ranked maps (as Nightwing)
- Campaign Nightwing (25GBronze) - Obtain 114 medals on the original Arkham City and Nightwing Bundle Pack ranked maps (as Nightwing)
The information below has not been confirmed by Rocksteady, the following are pure speculation.
- Episodic DLC has not been confirmed.
Thank you to those who have helped in making this thread what it is, bat-cookies for all of you.